LIFE is one of the “historic” programs of the European Commission, having been operational since 1992. It is the main financial instrument of the European Union dedicated to the environment and climate action. This program has co-financed more than 5,500 projects across the EU, mobilizing over 12 billion of euros in investments and contributing for over 5 billion euros allocated by the European Commission as co-financing. In Italy, the Program had a considerable success which resulted in 979 funded projects, resulting in a total investment of 1.7 billion of euros, of which 871.5 million of euros allocated as co-financing by the European Commission.
LIFE program plays an essential role in supporting the development, implementation and updating of the Union policies and legislation on the environment, including those concerning nature, biodiversity and climate action, through the financing of projects of various sizes, aiming to demonstrate the technical and economic feasibility of effective solutions (techniques, methods and approaches) to different and complex environmental and climate change problems, as well as aimed at guaranteeing conservation and protection of nature and biodiversity. LIFE program fully contributes to the objectives and goals of the European Green Deal.
The goal of the new LIFE for the period 2021 – 2027 is to contribute to the transition to a clean, circular, energy-efficient, climate-neutral and climate-resilient economy.
The total financial envelope for the program is of € 5.43 billion. The share is divided into two main sectors, environment and climate actions, which in turn are divided into sub-programs. In particular, the financing scheme is divided as follows:
- “Environment” sector: € 3.49 billion divided as follows:
- “Nature and biodiversity”, with a budget of 2.14 billion of euros;
- “Circular economy and quality of life”, with a budget of 1.34 billion of euros, which is a novelty of the last seven-year Life Program.
- “Climate actions” sector: € 1.94 billion divided as follows:
- “Climate mitigation and adaptation” with a budget of 947 million of euros;
- “transition to clean energy” with a budget of 997 million of euros, which represents a novelty of the Life Program introduced in the last seven years.
Participation in LIFE takes place through a “call for proposal”, which takes place annually and which usually opens in May and ends between October / November.
During this time frame, it is possible to present projects through a specific European platform.
The calls currently open have the following deadlines:
- Standard Action Projects (SAP) for the sub-programs “Circular economy and quality of life”, “Nature and biodiversity”, “Climate action” (Climate Change Mitigation and Climate Change Adaptation): 4th October 2022;
- LIFE Action Grants for the sub-program “Transition to clean energy”: 16th November, 2022;
- Integrated Strategic Projects (SIP) and Strategic Nature Conservation Projects (SNAP):
- Concept notes: 8th September 2022;
- Full proposals: 7th march 2023.
- Technical Assistance Projects for SIP and SNAP: 8th September 2022;
- Specific Operating Grant Agreements (SGA OG) for non-profit organizations: 21st September 2022.
In order to submit your application, you must access to the European Union funding and calls portal
If you want to download the detailed monograph on the Life call, click here